I, myself do not read news articles often (a habit I should change ASAP). I'm sure my lack of experience reading online news is a main factor in me having difficulty telling if an article is real, fake or satire. I admit that I am susceptible to being fooled by fake articles. The skill of being able to recognize an article's legitimacy is important not only online but even in the real world, especially at the rate fake news articles are trending.
Through the article, I've learned the different ways to spot the three types of articles. First, all articles from reliable sources have no spelling and grammar errors. This includes typos, capitalizations and grammar. Second, an article is more than likely fake if the source reports big news you are seeing only for the first time such as deaths of popular persons and international affairs. Big news spread like wildfire in today's world, and first hearing about it in an article you've never heard is only trying to get your attention. Lastly, if the article reports news that seems too extreme to be true, it probably isn't true. Would you really believe an article with the headline "Donald Trump sends troops to execute Russian leader Vladimir Putin"?
Fake news has been on the rise, and it is important for everyone to be able to recognize what is real and what is not. In a world where it is acceptable to put out deceiving news for profit, we must do all we can to avoid this and know who and what we could trust.
Fake News in the world is important for us to recognize so we are not tricked and deceived.
ReplyDelete